I woke up with a hangover on Saturday. Rushing to catch my bus back home from London, I stopped at 4 different vendors in Victoria Station to satisfy cravings for sweet, salty and hydration. First, a chocolate chip cookie. Then a smoothie. Then a pre-made duck dish. I threw them all in a bag and started to head out when I realized I needed a fork for my "salty". As the little fat kid in my belly would have it, I was standing right in front of a fast rood restaurant.
McDonalds was packed but I managed to get the fork...and a hamburger, naturally. I made a mad dash for my bus, darting in and out of tourists with bags and the aforementioned goodies bobbing all over the place, my mouth doing a countdown to satisfaction. As I weaved through a group of teenage boys I started to think, "Damn Kim, you're goo-" when my left foot tripped on my right and what was a stealthy Kim became a pancake Kim. My belongings exploded all over the boys and the sidewalk, but all I could think was that the hamburger better stay contained in that glorious paper wrap.
And boy, it sure did. With bloody knuckles and a bruised knee, I downed every last bite of my food within the first 5 minutes of the busstrip and then took a moment to examine my life. I had started the day in a lovely North London apartment where my friend Lyndsey effortlessly made Huevos Rancheros for us while I barely managed to make drinkable coffee. Adding insult to crappy coffee and culinary skills, I've been unemployed for almost 5 months now. I live with my parents. My most recent romantic encounter was replaying a kiss during an episode of Veronica Mars, and today is Valentine's Day. Needless to say, I could do with a little self-improvement.
Improvement starts with taking control of any little thing I can. Like not getting so drunk on Friday night I need a carb overload the next day. Like planning life a bit better so I don't have to sprint to catch a bus. Like running more so that putting my left foot in front of my right doesn't result in a face plant on a grimy sidewalk. Healthy living sounds crazy boring to me, but if life is about owning things (let's be honest, folks), what better to own than a healthy body and a happy mind? Melissa, Jamie and I are starting this blog to document our ups and downs while we eat well, work out and flex our mind muscles to be better, thinner and happier women. That's the plan, at least.
If you can't control your feet and end up falling flat on your face in public, or if you can't control your love of Nutella and eat 4 tablespoons in a row after you make brownies and eat the batter, or if you drink two gin and tonics before you do pilates...this blog may be just the thing for you. If not, I've just shared a hell of a lot of personal information that I'll thank you not to bring up the next time I see you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm sorry that I assisted in getting you so drunk on Friday that you needed to carb overload on Saturday. Maybe you dumb belles should try working out whilst drunk; I'm not gonna lie, I've done it before.
ReplyDeleteLove the blog ladies! Keep it up.