Last Friday I was all set for the second class of my latest athletic adventure, pole dancing (more on that later), but a man hole blew up in front of the studio, causing a power and heat breakdown. My second thought was to take a yoga class, which shares the same studio, but eventually they canceled that class too. So with two strikes against me, I opted to drink a few beers, eat a juicy burger and a plate of fries. Don't get me wrong, sometimes life calls for burgers and beers, but it wasn't exactly an even trade for exercise!
I am going on my fifth year in New York as a west coast transplant. I have always been an active person, but I never feel satisfied with how much I'm doing or how I look. I constantly struggle to find balance in both of those things. To a certain extent, I have exercise ADD. I get bored with one thing, am not enthusiastic about another, or discover something new to try. And in New York, the options are endless, as is the food (more on that later too).
But over the past year, one thing has transcended that: yoga. I am obsessed with core strength vinyasa, to be exact, taught by the wonderful teachers at The Fierce Club in NYC. Whenever someone learns where I practice, they give me that "what?" look. Fierce yoga seems like an oxymoron, or something only New Yorkers would go for, but its not. It is challenging (!!!) yet grounding, exhausting yet rejuvenating. Check out a video here, I'm the one in the blue top.
On top of yoga, my latest discovery has been pole dancing at Body and Pole. I have no aspirations to become a stripper, but after just one class I'm hooked. Its incredibly hard, fun, acrobatic and totally different. We'll see how the second attempt goes this Friday...
Food is my other obsession. Eating it, talking about it, cooking it, reading about it, I love it all. I try for healthy spins on most things I cook, but am all for the occasional indulgence. I've added a list of some of my favorite food blogs on the left.
Yoga, pole dancing, and (mostly) healthy eating sounds all well and good, but that is what I aspire to, not my complete reality...yet. In truth, I snack too much, can't resist sweets (nutella and brownie batter included) and get lazy and skip exercising every so often. But hopefully this blog, written by three amazing dumb belles, will help make it more of a reality, for me and anyone else that reads it and feels similarly.
Monday, February 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
thank you for having the courage to share your journey - both successes and setbacks - with us. it's a vulnerable place, but hopefully, your openness will inspire others to better their lives, while, simultaneously, helping you to reflect on where you are and where you want to be. after all, it's about the journey, not the end point.
ReplyDelete